Monday, August 9, 2010

Safari I

Expeditation to nowhere

In 1983 a small booklet of poetry was self-published and copyrighted under the title "Safari - Expedition to Nowhere". That booklet was updated and re-released in 2006 with the same title. With permission from all parties involved, I intend to occasionally include one or more of those poems in my blog postings. Tonight's offering is, maybe, a different slant on an old song which wasn't so old when this was first written. The title is, ("We all call her) San Antonio Rose".

I met her in Uvalde at a place called Juan Sebastian's / a little watering hole on the Southwest Texas plain / I was playing seven-up with a one eyed Mescalero / she was leaning on the table watching the game / and I said "hey there Juan, aren't you going to introduce her" / he said "son she's not the kind of girl that you could ever know / but I'll tell you this much if it really makes a difference / around here we all call her San Antonio Rose".

Her father was a gambler who drifted down from San Antone / and her mother was the local beauty queen / the day that she was born is the birthday of Sebastian's / pretty enough to be the answer to any man's dream.

Well tonight I'm going back to that place they call Sebastian's / walk right in and talk to Juan about things he wants to know / tell him what it's like to be married to an angel / and living in big Dallas with San Antonio Rose / and I'll say "hey there Juan aren't you going to introduce her" / and he'll say " son she's not the kind of girl that you could ever know / but I'll tell you this much if it really makes a difference / around here we all call her San Antonio Rose.

Her father was a gambler who drifted down from San Antone ---.

That will be all for tonight but if I have time I'll post more later. If anyone likes these writings they can e-mail me or post comment at bottom of page. Thanks, stay tuned - William

No comments:

Post a Comment