Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Independence Day

The Spirit of America

On July 4, 1776 the Second Continental Congress met and unanimously adopted "The Declaration of Independence", announcing to the rest of the world that the Colonies were seperating themselves from Great Britain which made that date the official birthday of what is now The United States of America but the observing of Independence Day didn't become widespread until after the war of 1812. Libraries are filled with books written by far greater men than I, therefore this posting, as promised, will feature a letter, a copy came into my possession, written to a local newspaper on that subject. Enough said. Thanks,

Dear Editor,

On Sunday July 4, 2010 we will be celebrating or commemorating the 234th anniversary of the birth of our "Declaration of Independence". The day will be observed in many different ways but we all should stand united as "One nation under God with liberty and justice for all". Look back through our history at all the men and women who stand out as heroes in their service in forming this nation and as Presiudent John F. Kennedy said, ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country. Some of my heroes are written in this:

The Spirit of America

I'm the Spirit of America / all about what freedom means /
I'm the Spirit of America / the heart and soul of American dreams

I knew George Washington before Valley Forge / helped Teddy carry his big stick / flew the plane for Amelia Earhart / watched Clara Barton as she cared for the sick / I went with Andy Jackson to New Orleans / was with Bowie when he made his knife / stood beside Davy Crockett at the Alamo / it was for me that he gave his life / for I'm the Spirit of America / all about what freedom means / I'm the Spirit of America / the heart and soul of American dreams.

I flatboated on the Allegheny River / walked the trails with Johnny Appleseed / held the kite strings for Ben Franklin / was there when the slaves were freed / I stood on the deck of the USS Arizona / as it went to its watery grave / I light the torch for the Statue of Liberty / and wave the flag over the land of the brave / for I'm the Spirit of America / all about what freedom means / I'm the Spirit of America / the heart and soul of American dreams.

Celebrate, Commemorate, Delibrate - whatever is your cup of tea but on this special day may we all strive to do some deeds that will leave this world better than we found it. Thanks. Sincerely,

Bill Browder


There has been some controversy of late about the Pledge of Allegiance so I may try that subject next time but again maybe not. Several times I have noted that if you liked anything about this blog you could leave a comment below but I have not yet got the hang of it so can't advise anyone how. Anyway, as they say, it's the thought that counts. Til next time, stay tuned. William

No comments:

Post a Comment