Sunday, November 7, 2010

Point'n & Pitch'n

Pitch,n in the river

Born in 1903, my Dad was of the old school, if something needed doing, then do it, no matter what it was. That "doing" ranged from the everyday chores of farm life to carpentry, hewing crossties for the railroad, sharpening saws and, from necessity, a good bit of mechanics. Back in the mid to late nineteen-forties I spent many an hour on one end of a two man crosscut saw. One of his "sayings" which I heard quite often was "I don't mind your riding the saw if you just don't drag your feet," When filing a crosscut saw he paid particular attention to the pointing (sharpening the cutting teeth) and pitching ( getting the right angle on those same cutting teeth) and making sure the drags were not too long. From that came the term "pointing and pitching" which referred to sharpening a saw. Dad used that in his own saying when referring to something that was about worn out or otherwise almost useless, that "all it needed was pointing and pitching, pointing at a gully and pitching in." From that saying, altered somewhat, came the following poem.

"Point'n and Pitch'n

I've traveled this old world over, a million miles or more / tramped down all the back roads till my feet are becoming sore / looking for a way of life that can't be found today / lost what was left of my self respect somewhere along the way / listened to other people's troubles till my nerves are wearing thin / now all I need is point'n and pitch'n, point'n at the river and pitch'n in.

Now my footprints are in the sands of time, my name is on the pages / of the book that records our life, our birth, our death, our ages / but like some fools who've gone before I fear I've lived in vain / for today I walk a lonely road, trying to forget the pain / and I haven't had much peace of mind since I can't remember when / and all I need is point'n and pitch'n, point'n at the river and pitch'n in.

All it needs is point'n and pitch'n, point'n at the river and pitch'n in."

Another one of his sayings was in response to our not finding whatever he sent us after. When he easily found that object he would say, "Gradpa could have found that with his walking stick and he's blind." When we were working in the field in near 100 degree heat and take a short break in the shade, when it was time to go back to work Dad would say "it's hard but it's fair." I knew it was hard but I never could see anything fair about it. Thanks for your support, stay tuned. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment