Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Here on the Hill

Has Spring Sprung?

{Up to this time I have written nothing about the problems in Wisconsin between the union and the state government which is controlled by the Republicans while the Democrats are Absent With Out Leave (AWOL). Tuesday afternoon I heard that Governor Mark Walker (R--Wi.) was thinking about offering the Democrats a compromise which prompted me to offer both sides a solution. Governor Walker and the Republicans could offer to take Collective Bargaining off the table if the unions would agree to split campaign donations evenly between the two major parties or allow each member to keep the part that was to be donated [to campaigns] and decide where they want their money to go. If they are looking for a compromise check this out.]

For the last two weeks we have had typical spring-like weather with some days feeling more like early summer, then a cold front comes through and we go back into late winter. We have also had our share of rain with a few thunderstorms. Here on the hill we have been doing some work outside, raking leaves, pulling weeds and transplanting flowers [general clean up], tilling for new flower beds and getting the garden ready for potatoes [just a few] cabbage [eight plants] and a pound of onion sets. We set up a table in the sun room and planted tomatoes, peppers, squash and cucumber seeds. It may have been the wrong time but we transplanted a row of garlic even though we hardly ever use it in any way.

I guess it was thirty or more years ago that I put pen to paper and attempted to write, what I had hoped to be, the lyrics for a song but the fact that it has never been recorded must mean that, if not a complete failure, it was not a notable success. It, too, was included in the book "Expedition to Nowhere" which was published and copyrighted in 1986. I feel like this is a good time to include it here.

"Make a Glass Eye Cry"

"I was sitting at the table playing a game of solitaire / when this slightly drunken gentleman said, can I pull up a chair / I said go right ahead my friend for I can use some company / but later on I couldn't believe the things he said to me.
Now you talk about your sad songs, I thought I'd heard them all / beginning with Hank Williams and later Tom T. Hall / when they sang about their troubles and the loves they had to die / but the stories he was telling Lord, would make a glass eye cry.

He sat there for about an hour talking about his woes / said trouble is my middle name, I know just how it goes / whatever it takes to break a heart I know what it's about / for when they passed out misery it wasn't me that got left out.
Now you talk about your sad songs, I thought I'd heard them all / beginning with Hank Williams and later Tom T. Hall / when they sang about their troubles and the loves they had to die / but the stories he was telling Lord, would make a glass eye cry."

Time, as they say, may be our greatest ally but in this case we're having a spell of stormy weather, most of the night and on into the morning but it is to be better for the next few days. Thanks for your time and input. Stay tuned. - William

P.S. Dear Seeker;

Are you the one who is the last of those immortal warriors who dedicated their lives to fighting the forces of the dark [darkness - evil]. If so I want to thank you for taking the time out of what must be an extremely busy schedule to comment on my last blog posting [March 3,]. Until now, I wasn't really sure anyone else was reading it. It is only my opinion and always subject to critical review. Anything expressed as an honest opinion or a fact [as to the Fair Tax] is welcomed. Thanks again for your comment. - William

P.P.S. On the other hand if that band of warriors was immortal then why was only one left? - William

No comments:

Post a Comment