Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring Fever

Or Hay Fever?

We, here on the hill, have been feeling puny all week with my symptoms beginning early Monday morning which developed into a nice case of springtime alergy by Wednesday night. Started taking Claritin Friday and I am some better but still somewhat woozy from the medication. My posting, this week, will probably be shorter and maybe a little more rambling, if that be possible. I am trying to write from memory, right off the top of my head, and most of you know there is not much left there either inside or outside but that's another subject better left until later.

As an update to my letter and e-mail writings to my Senators and Representative, I still have recieved no reply worthy of consideration from any of them. At this point, I am not promising to vote against them but I may just sit out my first election since the first Eisenhower race. I am even more certain now that none of our elected officials really care what we think or want.

There is still not much on television except bad news, the Japanese neuclear reactor problem seems to be stabilizing but the war (or whatever it's called) is still raging in Libya and things are heating up all around the Mid-east. Algeria may be on the verge of exploding so it seems to be just beginning instead of getting better.
After more than three hundred years of French Colonial rule Algeria gained its independence in 1962. After six years of ever increasing protest the French just packed up and went home. I believe their government now is, more or less, a dictatorship run by, or at least strongly influenced by, the military. This seems to have been the prevailing form of government in the Middle East for the past, in some cases,hundreds of years but one which is fast falling out of favor at this time. Since that area is already heavily Islamic there is not much doubt as to the outcome of these revolutions, if successful, and the subsequent elections. Will their governments be radical or moderate, friend or foe? That is the question.

We seem to have been added to one of those FWD., FWD., Fwd. e-mail networks and now and then we get one which we think may be worthy of repeating. We don't have many e-mail friends and don't want to risk that friendship by involving them in those networks so we never forward what we receive but I will include one in this posting. "Billy Graham was returning to Charlotte, N.C. from a speaking engagement and when he got off the plane his limousine and driver were waiting for him. As he prepared to get in he hesitated and spoke to the driver. 'You know' he said 'I am 87 years old and have never driven a limousine,. Would you mind if I took the wheel for a while?' The driver said 'No problem. Have at it.' So Billy gets into the driver's seat and starts off down the highway. A short distance away sat a rookie trooper operating his first speed-trap. The long black limo went by doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. The trooper pulled out and easily caught up and pulled the limo over, got out of his patrol car, walked up to the driver's door. When the glass rolled down he was surprised to see who was driving. He immediately excused himself, went back to his car and called his supervisor and said, 'I know we are supposed to enforce the law---- but I also know that important people are given certain courtesies, I need to know what I should do because I think I just stopped a very important person.' The supervisor asked, 'Is it the governor?' The young trooper said, 'No, he's more important that that.' The supervisor said, 'Oh, so it's the President.' The young trooper said, 'No he's even more important than the president.' The supervisor finally asked, 'Well then, who is it?' The young trooper said, 'I THINK IT'S JESUS BECAUSE HE'S GOT BILLY GRAHAM FOR A CHAUFFEUR!'"

This being very early on a Sunday morning B.C. (before coffee) my thinking is not at its best so without adding any more to that (you can do your own) I will thank you for your time and input. Stay tuned. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment