Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Flag Waving

Not My Style

In the days leading up to and during May 30, 2011, I saw a lot of flags. The same thing takes place on various other holidays, July 4th and November 11th especially. I have no problem with flag waving. In fact, I have no problem with whatever a person does with the flag if it was bought and paid for by that person but I would have somewhat different feelings if I, in any way, had money or blood invested in it.

To all of those who would or will say that too much blood has been invested in our United States Flag to allow it to be dis-respected in any way, I respectfuly disagree. Many of my ancestors were in the colonies long before the idea of the stars and stripes, as a flag, was even conceived. As for my Native American Heritage, I no longer long to see the white man's blood spilled on the field of battle and it has been years since I've had the urge to take a scalp.

On November 1, 1951 I, along with my comrads-in-arms from the 11th Airborne Division, walked in the desert at Yucca Flats, Nevada within two hours of the Atomic Bomb test known as "Buster-Jangle". We were less than seven miles from ground zero at the time the bomb was detonated. (See posting dated February 27, 2010). There is no doubt in my mind that we were delibertly exposed to the radiation generated by that explosion in order to study the effect atomic warfare would have on troops if encountered in future wars. For about fifty years we lived under the threat of being tried for treason if we talked, even amoung ourselves, about that experience.

I served my time during the Korean Conflict - Police Action which wasn't a war. All my time was spent here in the States, helping to reactivate the 11th Airborne Division, but if I had been in combat I would have been fighting for my Country because my family helped build it. I would have been fighting for our Constitution (even though I might not fully agree with parts of it) because it is what keeps us free. It is more important now than ever before. I wouldn't have been fighting for a flag or for any of our elected officials. I have no confidence in any official, including my own Senators and Representative, who say one thing and does another or in most cases - nothing.

In a statement recognizing July 16, 2002 as a "National Atomic Veterans Day of Remembrance", President George W. Bush compared the Atomic Veteran's exposure to a nuclear radiation, as being as grave as any war veteran who was wounded in action, in both instances, standing in harm's way while doing his duty, and protecting The United States of America.
That was almost nine years ago. It is up to Congress to act on this lack of recognition but there is no hurry. Almost all of us human guinea pigs are already dead. A few more years and it can be completely forgotten.

By this time you probably suspect that I'm not a flag waver but, on the other hand, I don't support any action which could normally be viewed as desecration of anything which represents this Country.

I know this posting has been somewhat rambling but; "If you don't really want to know / then don't ask. / If you detect a note of bitterness / just let it pass. / My country right or wrong / I must love it. / For only God and family / goes above it."
Here on the hill, everything is about as usual, just getting hotter and drier. Thanks for your time and input. Stay tuned. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment