Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The People's House

But for how long?

Today is one of the biggest days in Washington, D.C., the changing of the guard in a way, when the newly elected Representatives and Senators of the 112th Congress will be sworn in. How long will it be before they will be sworn at??

The posting of June 13, 2010 and titled "The Ditch" was first written, as a letter to one of our local newspapers, shortly after the election in 2006 and updated by adding the words "and the debacle of 2008" when it was published in this blog. Please read or re-read it so you will know that there is a danger of the same thing happening again. When the Democrats came into power in 2006-7 and then were re-enforced in 2008-9 they seemed to think that they had been ordained to carry out a political cleansing. Now that the roles are reversed again, will the Republicans fall back into that ditch??

The following is an open letter to all politicans, newspeople, government workers or any other concerned citizens.

For months, I have listened to most everyone on television rant about how we (as they see us) spongers on Social Security and Medicare are causing most of the problems with the run-away Federal Budget. I want to, for the about the fourth time, make a proposal. I am willing to (put my money where my mouth is, as they say) forfeit between one and five percent of my, less than eight hundred dollar Social Securith Check, to be retained in the "Social Security Trust Fund" and used to shore up that fund for future generations IF each one of you who reads this will agree to deposit or have deposited the same percentage of your paycheck into an account within the U.S. Treasury Department which would be designated to pay down our National Debt. If that is not agreeable to you or you do not wish to promote such an agreement, then you should not continue to blame us for the bankrupting of America.

For many years I have been laboring under the impression that I was a conservative and had been writing to newspapers, politicans and others about the way they were blaming Social Security and Medicare for all our budget problems but then, yesterday, I saw Eric Kingson (a liberal) on the Neil Cavuto show. Mr. Kingson absolutely refuted Mr. Cavuto's contention that Social Security was broke and was causing the budget problems. I couldn't have made the argument any better myself so I guess that makes me a liberal. Sorry about that. - The problem is that all the Social Security Trust Fund's money has been spent and nobody wants to admit that if it was replaced tomorrow the treasury would have to borrow the money and our debt would then be almost seventeen trillion dollars. Think about it, that's a lot of money.

I've had computer trouble all day, sometimes I wonder if it was even meant for me to get this posting done. Thanks for your input and for sticking with me. Stay tuned,- William

No comments:

Post a Comment