Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cyber Monday

Record Sales.

Extra, extra, extra, read all about it! Today it was announced on television that sales on "Cyber Monday" were much larger than they ever have been before. They may not have been stupendous but probably helped the Chinese economy grow by a point or two. Our own economy, or lack there-of, dominates the news today just as it has for about a year but nobody seems to know what to do about it. In my opinion, for whatever it is worth, there are too many different opinions and while that is not necessarily a bad thing it does tend to slow thing down a bit.

Because everything that needs to be said about Black Friday and Cyber Monday has already been said, this posting will probably be shorter than usual. With unemployment so high and the economy so low it is amazing how much money was spent in the last four or five days. Too many people seems to have lost their way. Much of what was bought will probably turn out to be useless.

Speaking of something being useless reminds me of those little books of paper matches, used for advertising, that back in my younger days were called "Gofer Matches" because, when it was windy, you would strike one and go fer (for) another. Thus the title of this story is "Gofer Matches".

"I was all alone in the middle of the night / with not a single star in sight / and the wind was howling through the blackberry patches / and all I had to find my way / Lord I'll never forget that day / was my own two eyes and a book of gofer matches / well I'd strike one and try to look around / It'd go out and I'd throw it down / and start right in to cuss the day that it was made / now you may think that it's not right / to stand there cussing in the middle of the night / but I was taught to call a spade a spade.

Now you know gofer matches are a useless thing / just like a sponge out in the rain / neither one will do the job that it was meant to do / did you ever walk through briers at night / even when you had a light / and could see those thorns before they got to you / for those thorns are roughy I'm here to say / I've got the scars unto this day / to prove that I was out the whole night long / and when that sun came up on me / I was down upon my knees / prayin that those thorns would be gone.

Now you know gofer matches are a useless thing / just like a sponge out in the rain / neither one will do the job that it was meant to do ------."

With that I'll close these thought for the day. Thanks again for your time and imput. Stay tuned - William

No comments:

Post a Comment