Sunday, April 3, 2011

Crystal Ball

Or Tea Leaves

What does it take to know what a politician will do when the going gets tough? Whoever said; "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going" surely wasn't thinking about the crowds hanging around Washington and many of our state capitals. I had already planned out my post for today but at the last minute I decided to delay it for a few more days and try an approach from a different direction.
Sometime next week, Tuesday or Wednesday I think, Representative Paul Ryan plans to lay out the Republican Budget for the year 2012 which begins in October of this year. Much has been said about the cutting of programs such as Medicare and Medicaid but I don't know how they can cut Medicaid, which is not part of the Social Security Trust Fund, after it is to be greatly expanded under "Obamacare". Social Security and Medicare can be fixed by raising the retirement age for those retiring in 15 to 20 years from now, along with some other small tweeks such as a means test for full benefits at the same time. Nothing would change for current retirees or those retiring in that 15 to 20 year period. Some politicians will try to use scare tactics to stir up opposition for even the smallest changes.

In earlier postings, I wrote that I would give up between 1 and 5 percent of my Social Security check to be returned to the Social Security Trust Fund in order to extend it for future generations IF our federal workers would agree to the same percentage cut to be deposited in a fund to help pay down the National debt. Any takers?

As for cutting the budget, the best place to start would be the size of government which could be changed by simply enacting a freeze on all government hiring (when a worker retires his position would be filled from within) and the placing of a cap on all salaries at their current levels for at least one year. Cutting or consolidating overlapping Federal programs should also be a part of that legislation but I don't believe either part will be in the new budget. I'm sure there is enough waste and fraud, as in any government program, in the Department of Defense for substantial savings.

I am in favor of cutting all funding to Planned Parenthood until they can prove that no taxpayer money goes for abortions and probably the only way they can do that is to quit performing abortions.

If, as stated on television, there was over two hundred thousand new government workers hired since Obama became President, with more waiting in the wings to be hired in the next year or two, there should be ample room to cut or at least trim but I am doubting that it will even be mentioned in the Republican budget.

On March 11, 2011 my posting was named "Eminent Domain" and was partly about the case of Susette Kelo and her "Little Pink House". Last night there was an article on Fox News updating that case. At this time, nothing has been built on those acres which were taken and bulldozed. Coincident? They have my blog address.

When it comes down to the "Brass Tacks, When the Pen Hits the Paper or When the Rubber Meets the Road", I don't have any confidence in either side. We'll know in a few days. I pray that I am wrong. Thanks for your time and input, stay tuned. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment