Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Truth About Medicare

And My Part In It.

Monday Morning - Early
Medicare was enacted in 1965, as an amendment to the already existing Social Security Administration, by President Johnson as part of his "Great Society" agenda. What, at that time, was thought to be an adequate tax was added to the FICA (payroll) tax to be paid into what would later become the "Social Security Trust Fund" and would be available to pay future Medicare benefits. What went wrong with that plan in the ensuing 45 years? Do you remember the Frenchman who in 1835 wrote, in his book about America and its Government, that "America will be a great country until the people learn that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury, after that it will be a war of all against all with each person striving to get the greatest amount of free money possible"? Are we there yet? Or to be more accurate, how long have we been there?

Monday Night - Late
I am past 80 years of age (old) and I have been on Medicare for the last 15 years. After it was enacted I paid into the "Fund" for almost 30 years before I retired and, along with most other retirees, have paid a premium every month for the last 15 years. Since I have been on Medicare it has not paid as much in benefits as I have paid into the system through that monthly premium and that is not counting the first, almost 30 years, of payroll taxes. In the three years, 2007 - 2009, I received very little more than the cost of a flu shot from Medicare and about what it cost for the deductables (doctors) from my Medicare Supplemental Insurance which, at this time cost me over 250 dollars a month. I can't believe that I am the only person left in America who is not out to milk the system for every dime I can get out of it. Doctors practicing defensive, or rather protective, medicine is the cause of many of the problems. Tort reform, limiting legal actions, would go a long way in cutting cost. On more than one occasion we could have filed a suit against a doctor or hospital but we didn't. That doesn't fit into our beliefs.

Tuesday Morning - Early
Representative Ryan's cure for Medicare sounds a lot like the Medicare Advantage Plans which "Obamacare" has taken away. How is it different?
Monday afternoon I heard a Democrat from South Carolina say that Representative Ryan's plan to save Medicare would force seniors to go out into the world of private insurance companies. Maybe I am naive but I thought the buying of Medicare Supplemental Insurance (Medi-gap) had already included us in that catagory. Is there some way, legally and morally, to not buy supplemental insurance?
Each month, after the $96.50 deduction for Medicare, the Social Security Administration deposits $766.00 into my bank account. Out of that I pay, right off the top, $254.00 for my Medi-gap insurance. Am I not paying my own way?

Tuesday Night - Late
Meanwhile, back at the farm. After a windy and rainy day Monday that kept me inside for most of the day I was glad to get back outside for a light workout. I mowed over half of the front yard then worked out the cabbage, onions and one row of the potatoes. We also have squash, cucumbers and tomatoes growing in the ground and more tomatoes and peppers in individual pots waiting to be set out. It may be too early and we may have weather cold enough to kill what is out but if so we will try to replant. We plan to plant pole beans and butterpeas in two to three weeks, depending on the weather. That, along with the blueberries, should keep us busy for a while.

Wednesday Morning - Fairly Early
According to the weather forcast we will have a fairly nice day to work outside again. Allergies are bad at this time of year and we, here on the hill, have had our share. Some more good warm weather might help out.
Thanks for your time and input. Stay tuned. - William

No comments:

Post a Comment