Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weather and Politics

Not much difference

We talked to folks in North Carolina Saturday afternoon and it wasn't so bad around Charlotte but when we turned on the television Sunday morning we learned it got worse later. Over 20 people killed in North Carolina alone. More bad weather predicted for later in the week with a pattern forming that will carry it into early summer. About the same thing can be said for Washington politics. At least the Senators and Representatives will be out of Washington for the next two weeks. Maybe things will calm down there for a while. The biggest difference between the weather and Washington politics is that politicians don't usually kill anyone except when they agree to a war, mostly they're just a bunch of hot air.

About 9:00 PM Sunday night I sent e-mails to both of our United States Senators in response to their non-response to my earlier letters and e-mails (See earlier postings). In those e-mails I wrote - "Ignore me or not, that's your choice. Read my blog or not, that's your choice. Vote for you or not, that's my choice."
Monday morning at about 5:15 AM I turned my computer on to check my e-mails and a few blogs. I found this e-mail from Senator Corker's office; "Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me to share your thoughts and concerns.
I want you to know that we read every single letter and e-mail that is sent to us in order to best understand the issues that are important to you. It is our commitment to respond to your input as thoughtfully and efficiently as possible. I meet with my staff regularly to discuss the issues raised in correspondence like yours and will be back in touch with a more thorough response soon. Thank you again for your e-mail. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me." Any other correspondence from either of our Senators or Representative will be included in future postings.

Why, oh why, did it come down to President Obama agreeing with me about the status of Social Security when I couldn't get anyone else to listen to me? You know that I don't agree with Obama about anything. Yesterday on "Your World With Neil Cavuto" he (Neil) played a clip of President Obama, at a Town Hall Meeting, saying that Social Security was not the biggest driver of our budget deficits and National debt. Of course, Neil and his guest adamantly denied that statemen even though I had been writing, in e-mails and this blog, the exact same thing for many months. Short of drastically cutting Social Security benefits for current retirees or raising the payroll tax, there is no way to keep Social Security from adding to the budget deficit and National Debt because the U.S. Treasury will have to borrow money to redeem those "Special Government Securities" (IOUs) as needed to pay future Social Security and Medicare benefits. (See previous postings).

I worked some in the garden Monday afternoon even though it was still a little wet. It looks like everything is doing okay, not growing all that fast but still living.
Worked a couple of hours Tuesday getting the bean rows ready to plant Friday if it doesn't rain too much but at this time, Wednesday morning, it rained for much of last night and predicted to continue off and on into tomorrow.
Whenever it gets dry enough, we will try to be ready to plant. Meanwhile, thanks for your time and input. Stay tuned, - William

No comments:

Post a Comment